Investigating the death of someone at work presents a whole range of new and difficult challenges. These range from dealing with the scene, managing witnesses, dealing with the family, police, coroner and of course managing your own feelings. No amount of training can fully prepare you for this area of work. This session aims to highlight the practicalities of fatal accident investigation so that you are at least more confident in your own approach.
FATAL ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION FLYER
I have started to map out all of the complexities of a fatal accident investigation. Here is the current map.
Using case studies, practical examples and discussion this session takes delegates through the process of investigating the death of someone at work to include:
- Work Related Deaths Protocol and associated guidance
- Working with the police/HSE
- Issues concerning primacy and handover
- Disclosure between the relevant authorities
- What to expect when investigating a WRD
- Post traumatic stress disorder
- Dealing with a traumatic scene
- Dealing with witnesses
- Typical scenarios
- Corporate manslaughter and Gross Negligence Manslaughter
- Liaising with the family
The afternoon session is devoted to the coroners inquest and includes:
- The coroners role and investigation
- The law and guidance relating to the inquest
- The inquest and conclusions
- Preparing for the inquest
- Drafting a report for the coroner
- Supporting and working with the coroner
- Your investigation, the inquest and when to prosecute
- Reports to prevent future deaths
This is a full day session, please contact me for further details or check the training programme. Please note, given the sensitive issues discussed in this session, the training is only suitable for regulators currently working in a local authority.
Comments by delegates…
Presenter showed a lot of integrity about subject matter, providing high confidence in contents of course. Would recommend to colleagues
Good to have someone delivering a course who has hands on experience and scenarios to talk about which are real life examples
Excellent training and very useful supporting documentation
Excellent trainer – good use of practical experience, cases looked at and anecdotes
Well paced course with plenty of opportunities to ask questions and share experiences
Please get in touch if you would like further information. All discussions are in strictest confidence.